BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, March 26

Learning the iPod and iTunes

I'm having some trouble inserting the rest of the clips, so please check back soon for the final version of this post.

This video series is a slight variation on the video options: My dad, 59, is learning how to use iTunes and the iPod shuffle he got for Christmas. Please excuse the ineptitude of the videographer/director/producer/editor/supporting actor.

Part 1: Of course, once the camera (a.k.a. my iPhone) was rolling, we had some trouble getting the computer to recognize the iPod, so at the end of this clip, I had to put down the phone and fiddle with it.




Part 2: Once we got everything hooked up, we started going over the basics of how to use iTunes to add and remove music to and from the iPod with playlists and to manage the music on the computer.


Part 3: Notice my spiffy teaching techniques, reviewing what we just finished! Now we're talking about playlists in more detail. Other than price, the reason we got him the Shuffle was because it's the most basic version of the iPod. We thought the fewer the bells and whistles, the better. I thought it was interesting that, for example, when I said he could have multiple playlists on his iPod, he got the idea but wasn't interested in doing that. Here is also where we started talking about how to listen to the iPod. (Watch for the cameo by my little iPhoner!)


Part 4: Now we venture into the iTunes Store, which I doubt he'll ever use since (1) he doesn't have an email address to use to create an account and (2) he is still very skittish about using a credit card online.


You might also be interested in the notes he took, especially given this context: He has very similar notes for every program, application, and website he uses at work (he's a business analyst in accounts payable/vendor services for American Airlines). I'll be interested to see if your adult learners make similar use of notetaking, because I think that might be one notable difference between how older and younger generations learn and use new media and new technologies.

Photobucket

0 comments: