BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, February 15

Book choices

I received a healthy textbook allowance for this semester, so I bought a bunch of the books. Here's a ranked list of the ones I'd most like to read (and why):

#1: McChesney's Communication Revolution. This looks like a good foundational text, including "a concise history of media studies," to quote the jacket flap, addressing real-life applications and implications, and seeming to be not so technical (either computer-wise or communications-wise)as to alienate a lit major.

#2: Jenkins' Convergence Culture. Although the extensive sidebarring is somewhat offputting, I love how the chapters are centered around pop culture icons (Survivor, Idol, Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc.).

#3: Litman's Digital Copyright. Admittedly, this doesn't look like the most riveting selection, but as a fledgling journalism teacher and student media adviser, this would probably be a good one for me to read.

#4: Manovich's The Language of New Media. This looks like a very thorough overview of the field, but it also seems to be more technically oriented than McChesney and Jenkins.

#5: Gee's What Video Games Have To Teach Us About Learning and Literacy. I am most definitely not a gamer, so this falls down my list, but being a high school teacher, I suspect it would teach me a lot about my students, especially the guys, so that raises it from closer to the bottom of my list.

#6: First Person. Getting way too technical for my liking, but at least it's shorter than...

#7: Bruns's Blogs, Wikipedia, Second Life, and Beyond. Way too technical for my liking, really long, and small print!

0 comments: